Monday, June 24, 2013

Yarn Web - Cooperation Lesson


During the first week of school My students and I go out to the school yard and sit in a circle. I have a skien of yarn which I wrap a piece around my finger say something about myself and gently toss the rest of the yarn to another student. This student wraps a piece of the yarn around their finger and tells us something about themselves. We continue until everyone has had a turn. When the last student is finished we have created a huge spider web! I then call out 3 or 4 students names and tell them to drop the web. We discuss what has happened to our web. I then discuss how cooperating creates a beautiful picture etc. WE then cut a pice of yarn and tape it inside our desk. Anytime I see a lack of cooperation I simply say remember the web. The students fall right back on task.

Source: http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/classroom-solutions/2011/08/my-december-top-ten-list-tis-season