Monday, June 24, 2013

My State of the Student Address Letter

Prior to conferences, my students write a letter to their parents to be delivered at their conference. I ask them to share their academic accomplishments so far this year, what they want to become even better at, challenges they’ve faced, their favorite school experiences, and anything else they want their parents to know about them as students. The parents enjoy hearing their children’s perspectives about their academic progress, and I find that the kids are usually brutally honest and spot-on. Their words are also a useful starting point for our conference. After the conference, I ask the parents to write a letter back to their child, which we leave in their mailboxes for them to find the following day.

Source: http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/top-teaching/2013/03/six-tips-planning-productive-parent-conferences