Monday, June 24, 2013

Black Book Form - Missing Homework Log

Source: http://www.scholastic.com/teachers/classroom-solutions/2011/08/my-december-top-ten-list-tis-season

At the beginning of the year, I fill a black binder with tabbed dividers for each student. After each student's name, I add two pages with a recording form.

During the first week of school, I dramatically bring out the book and solemnly say that my students do NOT want to encounter my “Black Book of Homework Shame” too many times. I then explain that if they forget to complete a homework assignment, they must independently go to the book, turn to their tabbed section, and record the date, the assignment, their excuse, and complete their assignment.

I next explain, in softer tones, that I understand that we're all human and if a name appears only a few times, this is okay. However, if a student writes in the book on a regular basis, this is a different story! I point out that I will have a record, in the student's own handwriting, of each assignment missed. I can show this to the parents, to an administrator, etc. I stress that I doubt that anyone needs to be concerned because I am sure that they will be responsible and complete their homework in a timely fashion.

This management lesson takes five minutes, but it has a huge payoff.  The students understand that they are accountable for their assignments and the system provides a teacher-free method of recording homework completion!